Sleeping is key to a healthy lifestyle. Are you having trouble sleeping? Tossing and turning in the night? You are not alone! Especially these days with all the electronics, it makes it that much harder. I have listed some tricks below to help you get a better nights sleep.
Things that are BAD to do before bed
- Blue Light
- Whether its the TV, cell phone, iPad, its all bad. Thats not to say you can’t use them but when you get into bed you should try to turn everything off. If you want to use you iPhone turn the nightshift button on. It uses a yellow light instead of blue which is better for your eyes. It’s located in settings under display and brightness.
- Also another alternative if you like to have the sound of a tv show or movie is to wear an eye mask! I use one now and it’s completely changed my life!
Things That Are Bad Continued…
Do not go to bed on a full stomach or an empty stomach. Your discomfort will keep you up.
“Alcohol tricks you into thinking you will sleep better, because it often makes you drowsy and makes it easier to fall asleep,” says Dr. Rosenberg. “But as your body begins to metabolize the alcohol, REM sleep, the period where our sleep is most restorative, is reduced.”
Things to DO to get better sleep
- Physical activity during the day, not before bed.
- Try to have a sleep schedule
- Being consistent reinforces your body’s sleep-wake cycle and helps promote better sleep at night
- Create a bedtime ritual
- Do the same things each night to tell your body its time to wind down.
- Laziest Yoga
- I learned a yoga pose to help you fall asleep in high school. I use it when I am really having trouble falling asleep so I don’t sit there staring at the ceiling for an hour.
- When you’re lying in bed put 2 pillows under your head. Tuck your chin down to your chest and hold it there for a minute, release and repeat until you feel sleepy.